The Friends of Fred Carmichael Scholarship Fund was created in 2008 when 27 companies from across Canada chose to establish this scholarship fund to honour Mr. Carmichael and his life-long passion - providing northerners with northern training for northern jobs.
The number of scholarships awarded, and the amount of the scholarships may vary from year to year. At the end of the 2015/2016 academic year a minimum of three (3) scholarships of $750.00 each were awarded.
This scholarship is open to students enrolled in the Adult Learning and Basic Education (ALBE) program at an Aurora College Community Learning Centre in the Beaufort Delta or Sahtu Regions of the NWT.
- strong academic effort (commitment and dedication to course work)
- more than the usual number of obstacles and challenges to overcome (perseverance in the face of adversity)
Like any good pilot, Mr. Carmichael knows the importance of ‘staying on course’ in order to successfully reach your destination. Through this scholarship, Mr. Carmichael hopes to encourage students to persevere through difficulties, as he had to do, in order to follow and achieve their dreams.
- Complete the Student Application Form (PDF 586kb) which requires carefully thought out answers to the following three (3) questions:
- What are your education and career goals?
- What were some of the challenges you faced while returning to school and how did you handle those challenges?
- In the future, how do you see yourself working to make your community and the North a better place?
- Have an instructor complete the Instructor’s Reference Form (PDF 586kb) .
Deadline for Applications to be submitted:
- the 2015/2016 academic year - Closed
- the 2016/2017 academic year - Monday, May 8th
Applications may be submitted by email: firstname.lastname@example.org;
by facsimile: 1-867-777-2850; or in hard copy,
by mail: c/o Student Counsellor
Aurora College, Aurora Campus
PO Box 1008, 87 Gwich'in Road
INUVIK NT X0E 0T0
- successful applicants are required to provide Social Insurance Number for CRA purposes
- successful applicants are required to keep the Yellowknife Community Foundation aware of any changes of address – for T4-As to be mailed next January/February
- successful applicants are requested to sign a photo release form for the Yellowknife Community Foundation, which is the administrator/manager of the fund.
Contributors to the Fred Carmichael Scholarship include the following businesses and organizations:
- Aboriginal Pipeline Group
- Bennet Jones
- BP Canada
- Conoco Philips
- Devon Canada
- Dowlands Contracting Ltd.
- Field Law
- First Nations Bank of Canada
- Flint Energy
- Great Slave Helicopters
- Gwich’in Ensign Oilfield Services
- Gwich’in Geomatics
- Imperial Oil
- Inuvik Commercial Properties Joint Venture
- Kiewit & Sons
- Mackenzie Aboriginal Corp
- MGM Energy
- New North Projects
- North American Construction Group
- Pacific Western Bank
- Petro Canada
- RBC Capital Markets
- Trans Canada Corporation