Established in memory of Luke Charpentier in 2015.
The Luke Charpentier Memorial Fund was established to assist:
Post-secondary or trades students from the City of Yellowknife with their studies, or Organizations from the City of Yellowknife with projects that benefit the community.
To be eligible, individuals must be:
- Residents of the City of Yellowknife, Northwest Territories,
- Pursuing post-secondary education or trades training in any field,
- Must demonstrate these guiding values for the fund: the qualities of compassion, kindness, generosity, of being a positive influence on their peer group, and demonstrating sportsmanship and a love of the outdoors.
To be eligible, organizations must:
- Conduct their activities in, and serve the residents of Yellowknife.
- Be based in Yellowknife with a registered office in the City.
Successful applicants are eligible to reapply for scholarships in subsequent years; however previous receipt does not guarantee future awards.
Preference will be given to applicants that that reflect the guiding values of the fund as set out above.
Applicants will be assessed on the following criteria:
- The essay or written statement reflecting the guiding values for the fund,
- Community involvement, volunteering and other achievements for scholarships,
- Benefit to the community for grants to organizations,
- Willingness to be involved in promotional activities in relation to this scholarship or grant.
Scholarship applications must include:
- A written statement of no less than 300 and no more than 500 words outlining how their past activities reflect the guiding values set out above.
- A letter from their school or a coach attesting to their being worthy of consideration for this award.
- Proof of acceptance into a post secondary or trades program.
- Proof of residency.
Organizational applications must include:
- A written statement of no less than 300 and no more than 500 words demonstrating the project will benefit the community of Yellowknife.
- Proof that operations are based in Yellowknife.