Established in 2011 to recognize Randy McBride's long standing contribution to hockey. The Randy McBride Hockey Project Scholarship was established to support NWT youth (male or female) pursuing advanced levels of hockey not available in the NWT.
Applicants must be:
- An NWT resident (minimum of five years) whose families will continue to reside in the NWT while the applicant pursues advanced hockey and education outside the NWT;
- Have a financial need to meet the costs associated with pursuing advance levels of hockey that are not available in the NWT;
- Be enrolled in a school, college or University;
- Pursuing hockey programs equivalent to Midget AA or AAA, Junior A (Tier 1 or 2) or a college or university hockey program.
The criteria to be used in assessing applications for the scholarship shall include an assessment of the factors outlined below and financial need.
Applications must be received by May 15 each year. The application must include a statement in at least 500 words on:
- Why they are applying for the scholarship;
- The qualities exhibited by the applicant in pursuing advance hockey opportunities;
- How the scholarship will contribute to them achieving their goals.
Applicants must also include:
- Two letters of reference including one from their coach, attesting to the applicant's involvement in hockey described and the exhibition of the above listed qualities;
- A copy of the applicants most recent transcripts or school grades;
Proof of being on the roster of a hockey team equivalent to Midget AA or AAA, Junior A (Tier 1 or 2) or a college or university hockey program;
- Proof of NWT residency including a statement indicating that the applicants family will continue to reside in the NWT while the applicant pursues advanced hockey and education outside the NWT*.
*The residency requirement may be confirmed through a letter of reference from the Mayor or Chief, any member of City or Band Council, Principal or Education Administrator or other official acceptable to the Yellowknife Community Foundation.Donate Now
Applications open 1 March 2019.