Applications close on 15 May 2019 at 11.59pm. Applications submitted after this date/time will not be received.
The Lilly Borges-Oldham Second Language Scholarship Fund was established to assist individuals interested in studying second languages and / or cultures at a post-secondary institution.
To be eligible, individual applicants must be registering in a recognized post-secondary program of study in a second language or culture. They must also be a Grade 12 in Yellowknife or adult student and a resident of Yellowknife.
The criteria to be used in assessing the applications shall include:
Field of post-secondary study – priority shall be given first to applicants pursuing post secondary studies in both languages and cultures, second to applicants studying languages, and third to applicants studying cultures:
- Academic merit – academic standing in all courses taken in their final year of high school
- Involvement in school and community activities related to languages and cultures
The scholarship can only be awarded once to any applicant.
The application must include a written essay (a maximum of 500 words) on:
- Why they wish to pursue studies in second languages and/or cultures;
- Their academic experience and community involvement in the area of second languages and/or cultures.
- The applicant’s involvement (if any) with Ms. Borges-Oldham, either as a teacher, a principal, or through one of the clubs that she organized
Applications must also include contact information and two letters of reference in support of their application from an organization recognized for its work in languages or culture or another source acceptable to the Yellowknife Community Foundation. Applicants must also include a copy of their most recent transcript of high school marks; and proof of acceptance or conditional acceptance at a recognized post-secondary institution in a second languages and/or cultures-related course of studies.
A Proof of Residency (PDF 65kb) form must be submitted along with the application.
|2014||Lana de Bastiani|
|2011||Nicolle Bonnell and Paulina Ross|
|2010||Tamika Mulders and Adrienne Schmalz|